Gone are the days of wastefulness and blasé attitudes about the environment. Every day we hear of new and exciting ways to "live green" – and with modern day conveniences and research, it's getting easier and easier. A geothermal system from GeoStar is one of the simplest and smartest ways to change and will save lots of green by being green. But that's just the tip of the iceberg. Consider these other simple changes around your household to help save the environment.
- Leaky windows can contribute a major portion of your home's heat loss. Installing weather stripping, using insulated drapery or shutters, and removing window air conditioners are all places to start when dealing with leaky windows. Another option would be to install new energy-efficient windows. Any of these actions will save you money in the long-run on heating and cooling.
- Reduce your paper waste, both at the office and at home. Here at GeoStar, we have an office-wide paperless initiative. Implementing this at home will help cut down on waste – and the paper you can't completely do without, recycle.
- Eliminate electronic waste by recycling old cell phones, refilling empty ink cartridges, and donating old televisions and stereos. These steps will help cut down on harmful toxins that are being introduced into landfills.
- Use cold water instead of hot when doing laundry. Warming up to hot water for washing and rinsing uses much more energy than washing in warm and rinsing in cold.
- Most grocery stores offer reusable bags for purchase to utilize in place of paper or plastic. This is a much greener way to do your shopping – just remember to take them with you every time!
- Carpool with coworkers or with family members to common events whenever possible.
- Telecommute for work whenever possible.
- Solar panels are quite popular and can help power your geothermal unit. See our section on net zero homes!
- Change your light bulbs to fluorescent to increase efficiency.
- Install low-flow aerators on your restroom faucets to conserve water and install low-flow toilets.
- Don't buy bottled water – a reusable water bottle will save on plastic usage and will conserve landfill space.
- Reduce junk mail and switch to online bill pay to reduce paper usage.
- Buy rechargeable batteries.
- Walk or ride your bike when you can.